Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Container Project IV - Final bits and Post Mortem

Ok pretty much done. After a load of sleep lost fixing very weird lighting errors then getting into labs and realizing it's just Amber's computer tricking us we had come to the conclusion that this project has pretty much killed us. We ran a little behind schedule in the end despite the final push but we made some amazing progress and it has all been worthwhile, and I can actually say I'm really happy with what we achieved on this project.

Final screens you ask? Ok,

The Last Bit

The last push was mainly detailing and cluttering up the level with all the plants, mushrooms and various pieces of junk we modeled, making everything seem a bit less clean. This was a fun stage but we had to get through it quick because of the day we had at VFX (Will cover those events in another post) I used the object paint tool in UE4 to quickly paint areas with foliage then placed in some unique assets so we could create some nice looking overgrowth fairly quickly.

Also it was fixing the flickering lights and some other little weird lighting glitches that taken up a lot of time during the last bit, still some left by the time of the deadline but we couldn't solve the problem. For some reason we get a weird purple light on the first blueprint door which we were unable to fix, that's one of the standout annoying things we ran out of time for to sort.

Also another thing that was lost on the last stretch was the lovely orange haze we had in the bridge, it kinda disappeared while messing around with the fog control with the trigger volumes we have set up but I just couldn't get it back to how it was before. Maybe another crack at the lighting might be needed after the deadline so we could end up with some better balanced images. The lighting in bridge looked better last week than what we finished with in my opinion. 

Post Mortem

We as a group have made massive progress on this project and have achieved most of the things we set out to do. Yes there were issues (and a couple still there) but we learnt a lot from trying to fix them and I'm glad we didn't go back over our concept after the first presentation, we continued and fixed up things that really needed it and the level is of a higher quality than we expected as a result.

What did we learn?

On this project we learned a ton about modularity, lighting and UE4's weird little tantrums. Modularity in particular was one area where we really worked to try and get the snapping working how we wanted, things started to work out better when we constructed assets together in 3ds max and then figure out how each piece fits together then building other assets around that, this made everything slot together perfectly as well as making sure of other aspects like scale.

Also there were a number of blueprint issues on this project which taken some time to fix, the doors in particular hassled Amber for a couple of days and later in the project where I was trying to get the fog volumes to work the way we wanted. A technical area worth exploring better for our next project.

Pros and Cons

+Large amount of modular assets, everything fits how it should
+Decent level of polish
+Nice material definition
+Added some extra things like Fog, particles, post process
+Learnt a lot about modeling on this project, got a lot faster and more efficient

-Annoying purple door
-Missed optimal lighting, needed the haze
-Maybe more unique textures
-Better assets to plug up the holes in the twisty corridors

Heres a list of everything I have done on this project (Knowingly)

  • Column_Special_Door
  • Column
  • Computer_1
  • Computer_2
  • Computer_3
  • Desk_Top
  • Desk_Side
  • Desk_Draw
  • Desk_Draw_Compartment
  • Keyboard
  • Wall_Fan
  • Desk_Fan
  • Bulkhead
  • Bridge_Front
  • Cargo_Crate
  • Hanging_Computers
  • Operations_Table
  • Ceiling_Trim
  • Computer_Bridge
  • Computer_Storage_Banks
  • Wall PC (Collaboration with Amber)

Unwraps & Lightmaps
  • Column_Special_Door
  • Column
  • Computer_1
  • Computer_2
  • Computer_3
  • Desk_Top
  • Desk_Side

  • Block out
  • Lighting
  • Post process
  • Fog control blueprints (Collaboration with Lucy)
  • Terrain
  • Object paint
  • Level building
  • Ambient Sounds

All of my assets created for this project (Textures done by Amber)

And here are the rest of the beauty shots, enjoy and see you next time for the next project: OFF THE MAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'll try and get back to you soon as possible. ^.^

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.